Wednesday 22 February 2012

You can choose your friends but not your family................

I hate that people feel they can be disrespectful just because you're related to them! And it is excused by one of the follwing comments "I'm just being honest" "I have your best interests at heart" TWADDLE!!!!!!!

I have just had, shall we say, a heated discussion with my Mum about what weight I want to get to on the Dukan Diet. I told her about my true weight, the goal I had set (161llbs) and how when I reached that goal I would see how I felt, then dependant on that, I may then go on to lose another stone.

Well that just wasn't good enough!!!!! In other words she said I was being lazy by not aiming for the lower weight and she thought that I looked good at 9.5stone! (I was 16 with a childs figure, no boobs!!!!!) I tried to confide in her about my concerns to do with sagging skin etc and she said she knew loads of people who had lost alot of weight and their skin had gone back to normal! (I know for a fact that this isn't even true).  My intimate concerns were just dismissed and I was made to feel awful. She said I just needed to work harder to make sure my skin went back. I tried to keep my cool and explain how it doesn't always work like that - stretch marks don't disappear!!!!

Then I had a moment of clarity and thought why am I wasting my time trying to defend my choices about my life. I wish I did have her support but I don't. I forcefully said I will not make my decision based on a number, I refuse to lose more weight than I am comfortable with, I will stop when I am happy! She seemed to get the hint that I was not going to discuss it further.

It never rains............... It pours..................

It did make me get the bit between my teeth though! Motivated??? Am I ever!!!!! x

6 comments:

  1. You said it yourself, the title of your post says it all.

    Just let it go, she in her mind, thinks she means well, and she probably does...don't think she intentionally was trying to cause you hurt, but sometimes people can be dense.

    Dont worry too much abt saggy skin, if it is going to come, it will come and we'll cross that bridge when we get there..altho didnt Dr D say in his book something along the lines of not getting cellulite...I can't remember, but needs to be checked.

    Once you reach your goal weight, assess..and if it bothers you a lot, dont rule out a tuck in your future.

    Relax, you dont have to figure everything out today, right this moment...by the time you reach goal,it may not even be a big concern, you never know.

    Chin up !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words of wisdom! I get so worried about all the things I need to do, should be doing, want to do, I forget to breathe..... It doesn't all have to be solved today..... I need to write this up on my fridge! I'll need to be tucked up to my eyeballs! I think I'm slightly exaggerating. LOL. Thanks for all your support, I really appreciate it xoxo.

      Delete
  2. I've read that a few women who'd lost 100+ pounds started lifting weights. I think having toned and lightly muscled arms helped decrease the appearance of excess skin on the arms. You're doing great, btw, and sometimes it's hard for others to appreciate how far you've come, when they're looking at what they consider the finish line. Making this kind of change is a long process. It's good for you to focus on mini-goals, it makes these gains feel more achievable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Veera, I have got some weights (small dumbbell set). Think I will start with those, I need to have a look at what types of exercises to do with them though, I'm clueless - good job I have the internet. LOL. Hope you are Ok x.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hear, hear! Moms can be so hurtful! My own mom is a total anorexic, and I won't even begin to tell you the spiteful comments I have had to deal with over my lifetime so far (although she can be more than nice, too).
    I can recommend using a good moisturizer on your skin ... and trusting your own body. Skin really is quite elastic! :-)

    ReplyDelete