Sunday 11 March 2012

Day 152 Water

Weigh In - 14st 5.75llbs / 201.75llbs / 91.51kgs.
Thanks to everyone for the comments re. water issues.

The whole thing made me look back over my food diary (which I have kept religiously since the start) and I noticed that my water intake has always been higher than recommended, even from the beginning I drank more. My first week of Cruise I was drinking 5 / 6 litres of fluid per day. I think it stems from doing Lighter Life, the water recommendation for that diet is higher than Dukan and on that diet I suffered with dreadful constipation, so I think the fear of that happening again made me start off drinking more than Dukan states.

My water intake now is generally between 5.25 - 6.5 litres per day. A few weeks ago in my blog I mentioned cutting down on my water as I thought I was having some water retention due to drinking too much, maybe this was a mistake.

I followed Veera's advice and drank 7 litres yesterday, I definitely dont feel as thirsty and today my mouth is'nt as dry as it has been.

I will go to my local pharmacy and get a diabetes test done and also have my blood pressure checked.
I must say that I do not like going to the doctors so this will be the last resort. You may say its silly but I honestly have never found any of them to be very helpful. They want to get you in and get you out as quickly as possible, dismiss all your concerns and sometimes are very rude in the process.

Last night I did alot of research about Diabetes, dehydration and Ketosis.

Ketosis in itself causes dehydration, with obvious excessive thirst. During this whole process I have not eaten enough carbs to take me out of ketosis. I may also get some ketostix to check what level I am at. I also read some interesting information about how you drink. A healthy adult body can handle up to 15 litres of water per day, but it musn't be drunk in large quantities. It made me think about how I drink, I drink from a 750ml bottle and most of the time I drink the whole thing in one go, the study I read mentioned drinking little and often rather than in large amounts as this can upset the sodium balance in your cells, it can dilute the levels too much.

So there are quite a few things I can take from this. I will get those checks done tommorrow at the pharmacy.

Hope everyone is having a good day xoxo

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. I forgot to mention yesterday that even when I am feeling OK, as long as my poo is still hard and pebbly, I assume I need to drink more. Only when the consistency is softer do I relax and feel confident that I'm hydrated properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray! Glad you're feeling better:)It's pretty unlikely to develop diabetes while not consuming carbs, not impossible, but surely unlikely. I think I should be drinking more water also. Have a great day.
    *anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, I wasn't feeling unwell per se, just thirsty with a really dry mouth. Much better today, Im trying to drink smaller amounts more often, I have to keep reminding myself to drink when I eat too! Im really bad at that.....

      Ketostix information - http://www.healthy.co.nz/product/712-ketostix.html

      From what I have read anything under 100g is low carb. To stay in ketosis, your carb consumption could be anywhere between 25g - 100g, its different for each individual. Its generally accepted that less than 30g per day is a ketogenic diet. Atkins starts people at 20 grams of daily carbohydrate, the Eades of Protein Power say 30 grams, Diana Schwarzbein of The Schwarzbein Principle says at least 60, the Zone says 100-150, and Sugar Busters would probably be around 140-200 grams.
      Some people find they become irritable / lacking in energy / lacking in concentration if they limit their consumption of carbs to 30g for too long.
      Hope your Ok, have a good day xoxo

      Delete
  3. Yay! still trying to work out my posting issue. Have a great day Sonia.
    *anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. k...that was weird, I posted as anonymous and it went through. Hrmph to computers. At least it worked. I think I need to drink more water also to keep things moving along as Veerukka mentions. I know that being in ketosis is what helps the body turn from glycogen stores to burning stored fat. How do you tell when you are in that state? How many carbs would move a body out of ketosis, or is each body different? Ketostick is like a pee strip that checks, I've never heard of them. Agreed that doctors are a 'last resort' measure:)
    *anna, the non-anonymous one ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can tell Im in ketosis by bad breath, especially in the mornings. You can apparently get a few types of bad breath - either sweet / fruity but also something called ammonia breath, in the same way that ketones can make your urine smell stronger they can do the same with your breath.

      Delete
  5. Hey, just so you know, what is happening to you with the excessive thirst isn't weird. Same thing happened to me and I was also afraid it was diabetes. Got tested and it was not.

    Now if I don't drink a ton of water during the day my throat gets really dry and my lips crack. I feel really thirsty. I should start tracking my water, all I know is I am always drinking. My bottle of water is 500ml and I drink one almost every hour all day.
    So I'm looking forward to you finding out exactly what it is that causes it, I always assumed it was just the diet changing my need for water consumption. If I go a day without drinking water all day I feel light headed and dehydrated, my vision gets blurry when I stand.

    Good luck! Let us know what happened!

    Like I said, I assumed we just need more water, to get all the toxins out of our blood stream from the weight loss.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DD, I think you're right about the water clearing toxins. Increased protein intake determines your need for water, especially when you're following a high protein diet for a considerable length of time. Drink to your thirst is always recommended in everything I've read. I'll update when I know more, not sure that I will get any answers though / learn anything new to what we already know. xoxo

      Delete
  6. Glad you're getting it sorted... I also avoid doctors if possible... I'm shocked at the 15 liter #, not that I don't believe you, but I would definitely be worried about hemo-dilution with that much water.
    I only drink about 2.5 liters a day, plus 2 coffees and 2 teas, so I would guess less than 3 liters of fluid a day... I'm pooing fine... LOL
    And grumpiness and ketosis, I agree and probably why I'm such a grump :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You grumpy?!? I dont believe it! LOL :@)

      From what Ive read it doesnt seem to be how much you drink but the quantities in which you drink it, apparently your kidneys can clear .9 litre every hour without any problems.

      I just hate feeling dependant on things, now its not food - its water!!!!! Not a bad exchange I suppose. LOL. xoxo

      Delete
  7. Hi, Wow that is a lot of water, I only manage 2-3 litres a day. Good luck at the docs, definately the right thing to get it all checked out! You are nearly at your next mini goal keep it up!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the encouragement Shannon xo

    ReplyDelete